JUDGE DOGS: David Pike
I would like to thank the officers and committee of South of England Irish Setter Club for the honour of judging this there Ruby Anniversary Championship Show, which I considered to be a great honour and a privilege. I was very pleased with the overall quality of the entry, a number of the exhibitors tended to overstretch their dogs, which caused the dogs to over exaggerate their top lines and straighten themselves in the stifle. We had a fantastic large ring which all dogs used to their advantage to its full potential.
Minor Puppy Dog 2
1. Rorkes:- Zakhan’s Solo 6 month old puppy dog well-handled for the first time in the ring moved nice and steady for his first show. Very much a baby
2. Wall’s Hazlebeck Ghille: – 8 month old boy well bodied and mature for his age, nice type, pleasing in head and expression, strong arched neck, with a correct top line and croup unfortunately the dog was very reluctant to stand and was unhappy on the move.
Puppy Dog Dog 5 (1)
1. Prangle & Cliff’s Special Reserve with Heathclare: – This dog shows potential for the future, upstanding dog soft gentle expression with no coarseness in the skull. Pleasing well arched neck which flowed nicely into a gentle sloping top line with a good tail finish from the croup. Moved steady. Best Puppy Dog
2. Greenham’s Anlory Aidan: – Very close decision to 1 I’m sure these two will change places on numerous occasions in the future. I like the head and expression of this dog soft gentle expression with good dark eye, good oval skull with a defined occiput. Excellent reach of neck correct front. Lost out to 1 who had a better top line
3. Russell’s Strathmead Huckleberry:- 11 month old puppy Well bodied puppy for his age very good front construction shoulder well laid back, I preferred the overall finish over the croup of 1 & 2
4. Wall’s Hazlebeck Ghille.
Junior Dog Dog 12 (1)
1. Lorrimer’s Kerrimere Charismatic: – I have admired this dog from the ring side and when you go over him he lives up to his name. Very well balanced dog with typical Irish expression with a long lean head no sign of coarseness pleasing dark eye, Strong powerful arched neck which flowed into well laid shoulders a nice gently sloping line, when on the move he carried his top line and made use of his tail carried as an extension of his body
2. Pym’s Thendara the Watchmaker: – 13 ½ month old dog Again a very well balanced dog close up to 1. Typical Irish head with correct almond shape dark eyes under raised brows which gives him a quizzical intelligent expression. Good stop, moderately depth of muzzle with correct clean flews not pendulous. Strong arch shape neck into correct laid back shoulders. Very good front construction with correct upper arm angulation. Excellent spring of rib and depth of brisket. Gently sloping top line with correct tail set. Moved covering the ground with purpose free flowing with drive for one so young should have a bright future
3. Jones’ Hunnicote Handyman: – pleasing constructed dog lovely raised brows which gave him a typical melting setter expression. As with 1 & 2 very good front and rear angulation which he used to his advantage on the move
4. Milligan-Bott’s Thendara Tick Tock
5. Lucas’ Bardonhill Eternal Flame Among Amberlight JW
6. Gratton’s Bardonhill Snow Wolf with Glenlaine
7. Lewis’ Scoteslaw Chicago Fire.
Special Yearling Dog 11
1. Gardiners Harreds Harlie of Blayesdale: – A very impressive dog when stood well-constructed, balanced, exceptionally good expression with a pleasing dark eye and defined raised brows, nicely balanced head. Good reach of neck with correct front angulation, nice bend of stifle onto nice low set hock to heel. Moved very well with positive movement strongly. A strong rich chestnut coat which was the final decision between 1 and 2
2. Lucas Harreds Hassle with Amberlight JW: – Litter brother to 1 and anyone would be hair-splitting to choose between these two siblings. Very well balanced powerful hind quarters, a good bend of stifle and low set hocks Pleasing head well balance with a clearly defined stop not course in any way. Very well presented
3. Jone’s Hunnicote Handyman
4. Horrock’s Wylefire Deckan for Itchewych
5. Torphy’s Bardonhill Jive Talkin
6. Rutherford’s Devacott Temptation to Clonageera JW
7. Gratton’s Bardonhill Snow Wolf with Glenlaine.
Maiden Dog 6 (2)
1. Pym’s Thendara The Watchmaker
2. Prangle & Cliff’s Special Reserve with Heathclare
3. Lewis’ Scoteslaw Chicago Fire: – I like the head and expression of this dog soft gentle expression with good dark eye, good oval skull with a defined occiput. Excellent reach of neck which flowed into well laid shoulders.
4. Russell’s Strathmead Huckleberry.
Novice Dog 4 (2)
1. Milligan-Bott Thendara Tick Tock: – Well-presented dog balanced with good front and rear angulation, pleasing head and expression with a typical Irish glint in his eye, powerful arched neck which flows into a gently sloping top-line.
2. Bryard’s Shelindar Ginger Fizz At Purleyrose:- Well balanced dog Pleasing head and expression well bodied with a nice deep chest, good upper arm construction, pleasing rich chestnut colour.
Debutant Dog 7 (3)
1. Prangle & Cliff’s Special Reserve with Heathclare
2. Russell’s Strathmead Huckleberry
3. Cox Tiroen too Darn Hot: – Lovely dark coated dog good natural bend of stifle handler tended to overstretch the dog which caused him to have an over exaggerated top line.
4. Torpy’s Fernstart Songwriter
5. Mackness’ Wynjill Well May Be.
Undergraduate Dog 7 (2)
1. Jone’s Hunnicote Handyman
2. Harris Siochanna Celtic Lord of Konakakela:-Well bodied boy good angulation front and rear with nice low set hocks which showed on the move with a positive driving action. Charming head and expression with no coarseness nice eye shape but would have preferred a darker eye
3. Horrock’s Wylefire Declan for Itchewych :- Delightful head and expression: Well balanced with correct top line preferring the overall finish over the croup of 1 & 2
4. Cox Tiroen too Darn Hot
5. Roberts & Cormack’s Sangarah Shared Romance with Polmennor.
Graduate Dog 9 (2)
1. Rowbottom’s Lanstara Spring Moon: – Loved this dog’s head and expression dark almond shape eye with a defined stop and no coarseness, ears set low. Strong arched neck flowing into well laid shoulder with a pleasing gentle top line and correct tail set. Moved with ease covering the ground effortlessly with drive. A pleasure to award him the reserve CC and eventually Res BIS with my co-judge (Mrs Francis Curtis)
2. Partridge Kerrydown One Man: – A very close decision here between 1and 2, Lovely head and expression with lovely raised brows which gives him a typical melting setter expression. As with 1 very good front and rear angulation which he used to his advantage in covering the ground.
3. Naylor & Morrison’s :- Anorly Keltic Blue Sky JW A more rangy dog than 1 and 2. Pleasing in head well balanced moved effortlessly around the ring good all round angulation.
4. Hyslop’s Gwendariff Justin Thyme JW
5. Harris Siochanna Celtic Lord of Konakakela
6. Nicholls’ Romarne Under Starters Orders JW
7. Hoskins’ Sandstream Just a Breeze
Post Graduate Dog 12 (2)
1. Macaulay’s Caskeys Mischief of Stylersetts: – Very well-muscled dog presented in hard condition. Attractive head with a soft gentle Irish expression excellent reach of neck with good angulation move very good covering the ground with ease as one would expect.
2. Willis’ Gwendariff Thyme Bomb at Jacwilins JW: – A close decision between 1 & 2 and I’m sure these two dogs will change places many times.in the future. Excelled in head with a good finish to the muzzle of moderate length and squarely finished. Well coupled with excellent spring of rib. Lost out to 1 with a more exaggerated top-line
3. Beresford’s Polmenor Funtime SHCM: – Well balanced dog excellent spring of rib, very pleasing in head correct eye shape and colour. Good front angulation with no exaggerations, correct depth of chest and spring of rib, very strong on the back end with a good bend of stifle.
4. Muir’s Romarne One Night Only JW
5. Prangle’s Heathclare Old Glory JW SHCM
6. Axon’s Brinara Private Eye
7. Davies’ Balintyne Bellboy
Minor Limit Dog 4
1. Lucas Shandwick Magic Moments via Amberlight: – This dog really stood out in this class exceptionally well presented quality from head to tail. Superb head nicely balance not course in any way with soft gentle expression. Correct reach of neck with good lay of shoulders and well let down elbows with a nice straight front. Powerful hind quarters with short hocks which he used to his advantage when cover the ground of this nice big ring
2. Partridge’s Kerrydown Night Hawk: – Another quality dog very impressive when stacked presenting a nicely balanced picture with a strong arched neck with excellent shoulders which flowed in a gently sloping top line power hind quarters which like 1 he used to his advantage when covering the ground. Had a tendency to carry his tail above his top line
3. Byard’s Cataluna Some Like it Hot at Purleyrose: – Compact setter however nicely balanced good angulation front and rear pleasing sweep of stifle with nice short hocks. Good head with a clearly defined stop
4. Mather’s Hazlebeck Dizzy Diamond over Soulglass.
Mid Limit Dog
1. Milligan-Bott’s:- Thendara Commitment JW I really like this dog. Excellent head long and lean, good stop and correct finish to muzzle, nice soft gentle expression. Powerful arched neck flowing in a gently sloping top line well finished over the croup. Moved soundly covering the ground effortlessly
2. Weir’s :- Deevonville El Condor Passa :- Nicely balanced dog shorter coupled than 1 very pleasing in head well balance with raised brows giving him a quizzical look, powerful hind quarters with short hock
3. Cuddy’s Suttersett Rebel Rouser in Balbriggan JW: – This dog has a lovely chestnut coat again shorter couple than 1 but with many of the attributes to 1 and 2, very precise on the move driving from his powerful hind quarters
4. Stubb’s Riverbrue Zeus JW.
Limit Dog 7 (2)
1. Cohen’s Caispern Lorenzo with Shushana JW: – A striking dog pleasing in head with a soft gently melting expression good defined stop, correct low set ears. Good depth of chest and spring of rib, with a good masculine loin slightly arched. Good honest dog not exaggerated in any way
2. Mugford’s Lynwood Lark in the Dark JW: – A quality dog, nicely balanced. Very good in head correctly balanced correct eye shape and colour. Good front angulation with no exaggerations, correct depth of chest and spring of rib. Very strong back end with a good bend of stifle. Correct small firm feet, well arched toes
3. Walsh & Foster’s Millcroft Chase the Moon: – Balanced honest dog not exaggerated in any way pleasing head with correct almond shape dark eye powerful neck with excellent shoulders and upper arm angulation, correct bend of stifle onto low set hocks
4. Mitchell’s Amblin Sweet William
5. Nicholl’s Delsanto Snow Storm SHCM.
Open Dog 5 (1)
1. Hill-Decoster’s Vicary’s Keykeeper:- A lot to like about this dog, pleasing in the head with good stop and raised brows, nice finish to the foreface, moderate powerful arched neck which flowed into a correct gently sloping top line with correct tails set. Move with drive
2. Milligan-Bott Sh Ch Thendara Pot Noodle JW: – A nice soft gentle expression, head was nicely balanced throughout with no exaggerations. Powerful well arched neck into correct laid back shoulders. Good angulation front and rear, Tended to overstretch himself which exaggerated his top line spoiling his overall shape and balance.
3. Cox’s JSY CH Tiroen Too Hot to Handle: – A handsome racy dog, presented today in good coat and condition, nicely balanced throughout. Pleasing head with that typical Irish expression soft and gentle. Good reach of neck into well laid shoulders and a gently sloping top line. Correct tail set carried level with his top line carried well on the move. Good spring of rib and depth of chest.
4. Rutherford’s SH CH Clonageera Kinross Love Barolo.
Veteran Dog 7 (1)
1. Hogarth’s SH CH Avacet Snowdrift: – It was a pleasure to go over this well presented dog, not exaggerated in any way. Excels in head with a soft gentle melting expression with a pleasing dark eye and good stop. Powerful moderate arched neck, shoulders were laid back, correct spring of rib with good depth of chest for plenty of lung room, superb bend of stifle with short hocks, when covering the ground he drove out effortlessly. I was honoured to award him the Dog CC and with the agreement of my co-judge Best of Breed and Best Veteran in Show
2. Gardner’s SH CH Riqitta Authentic: – Well balanced dog pleasing head and expression, nice square finish to muzzle, good front construction again with good depth and spring of ribs. Moved well with drive
3. Millian’s Landscott Going for Gold: – This is a good honest dog not exaggerated in any way. Pleasing in head with a soft gently melting expression good defined stop, correct low set ears. Good depth of chest and spring of rib, with a good masculine loin slightly arched. Covered the ground well with a lashing tail
4. Pullen & Atkin SH CH Harvancourt Harlem at Jacingail
5. Rodda’s Teramour Going for Gold
6. Crosswell’s SH CH Gwendariff Mr Notice Me JW.
Judge Bitches: Francis Curtis
It was a great honour and privilege to judge this prestigious show on its Ruby anniversary. Many thanks to my stewards who worked under very hot temperatures.
All bitches were well presented and close decisions had to be made with minor considerations separating the winners.
Minor Puppy Bitch (4)
1 Mugford’s Lynwood Isn’t She Lovely. Yes, very apt! Such a pretty head, good shoulder placement and rear angulation, confident with promise of an exciting future. Moved well. BMP in show. Congratulations.
2 Roberts Polmenor Merry Maidens. Very little separating this one from the winner who was a little more mature.
3 Roberts Polmenor Spinning Moons.
Puppy Bitch (9)
1 Nicolson’s Gwendariff Rainbow Goddess at Lochindorb. At 9 months old what a beautiful and confident young bitch. Sweet expression, lovely head and excellent structure throughout. Moved extremely well for any age let alone a young one. Will watch her future with interest. (BPIS). Congratulations!
2 Mugford’s Lynwood Isn’t She Lovely (BMP)
3 Robert’s Polmenor Merry Maidens
Junior Bitch (11)
1 Russell’s Melmara Georgia. Such a self assured youngster. Pretty head and soft expression, good angulation throughout, moved purposefully with drive. Has a good future.
2 Hunter & Brown’s Braidmount Lady In Waiting – beautiful head and expression, well balanced throughout, shown in top condition. Pushed 1 hard.
Yearling Bitch (10)
1 Hall’s Harreds Hettie. Very feminine and pretty, good should angulation and firm topline. Moved with verve in unison with handler powering from strong hindquarters.
2 Hall’s Glennara Never Can Tell. Another good moving bitch who responds well to handler. Well angulated and turned out to perfection.
Maiden Bitch (7)
1 Nicolsons Gwendariff Rainbow Godess at Lochindorb
2 Mugford’s Lynwood Isn’t She Lovely
3 Framptons Strathmead Mulberry
Novice Bitch (6)
1 Box’ Fernstart Birdsong. Pretty youngster, very feminine. In lovely coat and condition.
2 Morriss-Begg. Susie Snapshot by Thendara. Very Promising youngster. Close up.
3 Hadfield’s Marzanne China in Your Hands.
Debutant Bitch (3)
1 Hadfield’s Marzanne China In Your Hands. 3rd in Novice Needs a little more practice but pleasing bitch.
Undergraduate Bitch (4)
1 Stevenson’s Lochlorien True Detective is Andley. 3rd in Junior. Pleasing youngster with well defined head and good angulation. Moved out with ease to win over another pretty girl.
2 Meadows’ Gwendariff D’ya Likeme Best.
Graduate Bitch (13)
1 Fauvrelle’s Clonageera Walk In The Sun. What a beauty. Lovely expression, correct construction throughout and in superb condition. One I am sure will make the headlines. Handled to perfection.
2 Rutherford & Judge & Lippett. Clonageera Love Is Real. Little sister to 1. And same critique applies. Could have done with 2 red cards!
3 Berry & Morris’ Brinara Lowri JW. Another beauty. So Pretty. Good angulation throughout and shown to perfection. Moved beautifully to complete a classy trio.
Excellent class throughout.
Post Graduate Bitch (10)
1 Lippett’s Clonageera Born to Run. Born to win too! Little sister to Grad: 1&2. Pretty girl, correct angulation throughout, in perfect coat, and moved out with drive.
2 Drivers Caskey’s Mystique at Stearnwood. Beautiful construction throughout. Compact Bitch, well angulated, neat feet. Moved so well.
3 Brady’s Amberlight Guinevere. Quality bitch. Super outline, good depth of chest and firm topline. Sweet expression. Lovely class.
Minor Limit Bitch (6)
1 Stevenson’s Lochlorien Scully Foxes Andley. Beautiful mature lady in lovely coat. Pretty girl, well balanced throughout striding out enthusiastically to win this class.
2 Box’ Bardonhill Afternoon D’Lite at Fernstart. Close up, sweet expression. Good reach of neck and should angulation. Firm hindquarters. Moving with power.
3 Smiths’ Reddins Garbo. Another good bitch typical of her breeding. Moved well in difficult weather conditions.
Mid Limit Bitch (6)
1 Muir’s Romarne One Night Only. What a beauty. Pretty girl with sweet expression. Lovely outline and good body properties throughout. Enthusiastic on the move such a beauty. Today – my CC winner & RBIS. Well done.
2 Botts’ Bardonhill Guilty Pleasure. Close up. Well presented lovely bitch with all the other attributes one expects from this kennel. Wish I had 2 first prizes.
3 Walters’ Dreamerlis Regal Jodie from Deneil. This bitch did not cope well with the hot weather but nevertheless showed a good structure and sweet face. A lovely exhibit.
Limit Bitch (9)
1 Bouttell’s Ixia Ever Hopeful. Well proportioned, beautiful coat, presented to perfection as usual. Coped well with the heat, moved out smartly with verve and style and firm topline and strong hindquarters. A bitch to be proud of.
2 Meadows’ Gwendariff Whipsa Daisy. Moved very well at the end of this long, hot day. Pretty girl, beautifully constructed which showed in her movement.
3 Gardener’s Thendara Jocasta JW. Another lovely bitch in top form to complete a beautiful trio.
Open Bitch (4)
1 Hunter & Brown’s ShCh/IntSh Sc Fairhaven Louise Mountbatten at Braidmont. What a beauty! Really striking bitch who commands attention, beautiful head and expression, so feminine with sweet expression. RCC.
2 Lippett’s ShCh Neathamill Isabella at Clonageera. Elegant, very feminine beauty. Makes an impact at first sight. Quality from head to toe. Stylish mover.
3 Rodda’s Ireleith Conchitta avec Teramour. In her best bib and tucker. Good angulation, well built bitch. Did well in this strong class.
Veteran Bitch (8)
A good class of golden oldies, two of who asked only to be handled and run but not to compete. A lap of honour.
1 Lochlorien Prime Suspect for Andley JW Sh CM (Mr & Mrs G Stevenson) In great form at 9 years old. Pretty girl in beautiful condition, enjoying herself and showing off a lovely profile, and sound, strong movement. Showing off a lovely profile, and sound, strong movement.
2 Brady’s Reddins Frolic Among Amberlight. Another good mover at 7 years old, a tribute to her breeders. Lovely construction throughout. Obviously enjoyed showing herself off!
3 Gardiners Reddins Esther of Blaysdell. Yet another lovely lady of 9 years old moving in excellent style with power. Well done to all the Veterans and their owners for keeping them so fit.
BRACE CLASS 3
1st Mr K & Mrs D Broadgate
Well presented brace similar in appearance and moved well together and with drive.
2nd TA & JM Rodda
Another similar brace moved well just felt that 1st moved together better.
3rd Mr & Mrs J & J Lippett
MARY DUNCAN MEMORIAL OPEN STAKES DOG OR BITCH 5 (2)
1st Mr & Mrs H A M Cohen Caispern Lorenzo with Shushana JW SH CM
Very close between 1st and 2nd just felt 1st was more my type. Standing looked balanced with good topline which he kept on the move. Pleasing head good straight front with good width to chest and tight at elbow. Nice length of neck into good layback of shoulders. Moved with drive from strong hindquarters and lashing tail.
2nd Mr R & Mrs J Mugford Lynwood Lark in the Dark JW
Another very nice dog with lovely head good strong hindquarters just felt he was not at his best today may be carrying a bit of weight and the heat did not help.
3rd Mrs P & Miss S Harris Siochanna Celtic Lord of Konakakela
Mrs M. Launchbury
Sunday, July 31, 2016