Irish Setter Club of Wales Southern Open Show
April 21st 2019
A very big thank you to this club for asking me to judge their Southern Open show in conjunction with their Championship show was such an honour to be asked. An extremely well run friendly show with a great atmosphere. A big thank you to my 2 stewards Martin and Jane for keeping the ring running smoothly. A massive big thank you to all the exhibitors who brought their lovely exhibits for me to judge. Overall found good quality of dogs and bitches, though movement a big concern and some front feet placement standing at 10 to 2. I found some really heavy and strong heads in some males which spoilt the typical Irish head and expression. Many younger males looked the picture standing but on the move many paid the price, moving very close or knitting behind and some pigeon toed front movement, though I must say much better quality movement in the bitches.
Veteran Dog 4 (0)
1) Williams Alolfran Quickstep to Lavansands Nearly 9 year old male, nice shape good straight front loved his masculine head, clean dark eye, low set ears. Good reach of neck into well placed shoulders, correct gentle slopping top line. Good depth of chest. Well angulated fore and aft. Moved well BVD
2) Cohens Caispen Lorenzo with Shushana JW SHCM 8 years old male, another nice boy, have done him well before. Difficult decision between these 2 just preferred movement on first. Nice shape good clean masculine head though not overdone, nice clean dark eye, again good reach of neck into well laid shoulder placement leading to gentle slopping top line, Good angulations front and rear and in good coat. Moved well
3) Axon Brinara Back in the Running
Puppy Dog 12(3)
1) Davis Grayrigge Mystral Wind with Alanasett 2 nice puppies headed this class. 10 month old male loved his shape and size, good depth of chest. Very nice shaped head clean dark eye, good reach of neck into well placed shoulders. Well angulated front just needs to drop a bit more on rear. Moved well BPD and BPIS
2) Hall Harreds Stanley another nice promising puppy just preferred shape of first. Nice shape shorter cast then first and slight less reach of neck though into good shoulder placement and angulations fore and aft. Good depth of chest and well off for bone. Moved well
3) Davison Bardonhill Don’t Fool Me another nice puppy standing but paid the price on movement today, have seen him move much better and being more together
Junior Dog 6 (0)
1) Edwards Gwendariff Ucan’t miss me Bonhomie Handsome boy, just loved this boy really nice shape. Masculine head with typical Irish expression, nice dark eye. Low set ears, Good front and rear angulations. Good reach of neck into well placed shoulders leading to gentle sloping top line and correct tail set. Moved really well.
2) Richardson Gwendariff I’m Fool Proof Nicely put together boy, moved fairly well just preferred shape of first
3) Gardner Danwish on High
Yearling Dog 8 (2)
1) Dewar Gwendariff Willy Wont He One really nice dog just loved his head gentle expression. Good dark eye well defined stop. Good reach of neck into well placed shoulders. Nice depth of chest and gentle sloping top line in good coat. Well angulated fore and aft. Moved well
2) Russell Lynwood Hocus Pocus of Settesoli Another nice boy difficult decision between these two could change places another day. Loved his shape built well in good coat and moved well. First just a bit more together today.
3) Danks-Kemish Terei Summertime Blues Avec Alolfranna
Undergraduate Dog 9 (4)
Two lovely dogs headed this class though playing up on the move today just lucky as all others were too
1) Hart Gwendariff in the Limelight with Gilliegrae JW Very nice shaped male, nice masculine head but not overdone, good clean dark eye, ample stop ears set on low, good angulations fore and aft, good shoulder placement leading into gentle slopping top line and good tail set. Did play up a bit on the move
2) Tupper & Rosie Staratlanta Shankly’s Fire another nice shape male though slightly bigger in height and slightly stronger head than first. Preferred his top line to first, well angulated front and rear with good turn of stifle. Also played up on movement today.
3) Hadfield Staratlanta Get a Wiggle On to Marazanne
Graduate Dog 9 (4)
1) Kniveton & Allen Quensha Starman aboard Orstone JW Lovely shaped male, loved his head gentle expression with good clean dark eye, ample stop and low set ears. Straight front and well angulated front and rear Good clean top line and tail set. Moved well not as mature as some in this class but won on his movement and shape
2) Boyce Forfarians Secret Admirer Loved this boy too, great shape and slightly stronger head but saving that kept with his shape and size. Good front angulation into well placed shoulders, gentle sloping top line and good tail set just a shame to have met 1st. Moved well
3) Dewar Gwendariff Here I Come
Post Graduate 11(2)
1) Byard,Milligan-Bott, Bott & Lauwers Oakdene Phenomenal with Thendara (Imp Bel) Have admired this boy from the ring side. Just loved his shape and head, good stop, nice clean dark eye, good ear set nice and low, hanging correctly. Good reach of neck into well place shoulders, flowing into gentle sloping top line. Good angulations fore and aft, good turn of stifle, and in plenty of coat. Moved well around the ring and also pulled out the stops in the challenge. Well-presented and handled Pleased to award Best Dog and Reserve BIS
2) Russell Strathmead Huckleberry of Settesoli Another nice dog different type to 1st, Loved his shaped too, good masculine head and plenty of stop. Good clean eye, longer neck than winner but on saying that fitted his shape and body, moved well, just preferred cleaner top line and tail set of winner.
3) Prangle American Dollar
Limit Dog 10 (2)
1) Macaulay Caskeys Mischief of Stylersetts JW Loved this boy, lovely refined head, nice clean dark eye, loved his shape. Straight front, good reach of neck, into well placed shoulders, lovely gentle slopping top line leading to good tail set, correct turn of stifle, standing on nice tight feet. Moved well pleased to ward him RBD
2) Danks-Kemish Alolfrana Hotter Than U’Know A heavier built to winner but still loved his shape and style. Stronger head for me but on saying that fitted with his build and shape. Nice dark eye, straight front, well placed shoulders and gentle top line. Moved well
3) Hemmings Orlanset the Rocker JW
Open Dog 6 (1)
1) Decoster Vicary’s Part Time Lover Handsome boy, masculine but refined head, and nice dark eye. Good shape with deep chest, straight front, well placed shoulders leading into gentle sloping top line, good front angulation well bodied, good tail set and moved well around the ring to win this class
2) Pepers VDH CH Glennokhen Macallan Another nice boy not as mature as first though still got plenty of time on his side as still a youngster. Stronger in head to first, good clean dark eye. Moved well just needs to body up more, come more together and am sure will give others a run for their money.
3) Jones Hunnicote Handyman
Overall better quality in the bitches than the dogs which hopefully bodes well for the future of the breed
Veteran Bitch 3 (0)
1) Mugford CH Lynwood Happy as a Lark One lovely 8 year old bitch always admired her from the ring side and was so lovely to eventually get my hands on her. Such a well-made girl everything in the right places. Just loved her shape and size, pretty feminine head with dark eyes, low set ears. Good reach of neck into well placed shoulders leading to gentle sloping top line, good angulations fore and aft, with ample turn of stifle. Lovely tight feet. Moved really well and can still certainly show the youngsters how to move. Such a worthy full champion. Pleased to award her BB BVB BIS and BVIS
2) Stevenson Lochlorien Scully Foxes Andley SHCM Another lovely bitch 7 ½ years old, shame she came up against the first. Nice shape, lovely feminine head with good clean dark eye, nice reach of neck as first good angulations front and back, gentle sloping top line, into good tail set, moved out well too, just preferred overall shape of first.
3) Waterton SH CH Lynwood Kissed by and Angel Another nice bitch nearly 11 ½ years not a good as 1st and 2nd on the moved but she certainly enjoyed her day out today. Another worthy SH CH
Puppy Bitch 11 (4)
3 very nice bitches head this class
1) Sturrock Forfarian Soo Lush One lovely 11month old puppy loved her shape and head very refined and feminine; good reach of neck into well placed shoulders, well angulated fore and aft, straight front. Lovely gentle sloping top line, correct tail set, moved well. Apt name for her
2) Holley Gwendariff Look this way to Wynjill Another lovely 10 month old bitch great shape with a love head same comment s as above, slightly bigger build to first but both could change places on another day
3) Hall Harreds Sybil
Junior 9 (1)
1) Rutherford Majestka Indian Summer Nice bitch just over a year old, pretty head liked her shape, low set ears, and good reach of neck into nicely placed shoulders well angulated, deep chest, in good coat just more together than second moved well.
2) Stewart & Jones Gwendariff Gooseberry Fool Another lovely bitch, again just over a year old loved her shape, very feminine head with lovely expression just slightly finer than first, good reach of neck good front and good angulations fore and aft. Moved well
3) Roberts Jetsetter Cristalle to Polmenor JW (Imp Rus)
Yearling Bitch 11 (1)
This class really gave me a headache with many lovely bitches going card less. The 5 I shortlisted could change places any other day
1) Nicolson Gwendarrif Just the Ticket for Lochindorb One lovely bitch have admired her from the ring side and certainly starting to come into her own. Lovely head and great shape, good reach of neck into good placed shoulders, good angulation front and rear. Nice gentle slopping top line leading to correct tail set. Moved really well in unison with her young handler and getting the best out of her.
2) Edwards Gwendariff Its Numero Uno at Bonhomie Another lovely bitch smaller in statue but really splitting hairs with these two, similar comments as above though would prefer a better tail set. Moved well
3) Mugford Lynwood Abracadabra JW Another lovely shaped bitch difficult decision with these first three gentle expression and also moved really well
Undergraduate Bitch 9 (0)
1) Catling Teleri Her Comes Summer One lovely feminine bitch liked her shape. Nice pretty head good clean dark eye, ears set on low. Good front, nice front angulation into well-made shoulders, gentle slopping top line into good tail set, good rear angulations with ample turn of stifle Move really well.
2) Green Braidmount Dreamed a Dream for Glencarron Another nice pretty bitch just not as mature or finish as first but loved her shape, very pretty head, great gentle slopping top line, good depth of chest, Moved well
3) Rollinson Victoriaview Hippo
Graduate Bitch 8 (2)
3 nice bitches headed this class am sure first and second could change places on another day
1) Bouttell, Bouttell & Burridge Ixia Rainbow Brite This girl took my eye as soon as she entered the ring great shape, lovely feminine head, nice dark eye, ears set on low, excellent reach of neck, good shoulder placement , good angulations fore and aft, lovely gentle slopping top line, moved very well Please to award her RBB
2) Hall Glennara Cilleigne Dervla Loved her shape and head, good reach of neck into well placed shoulders, good angulations, nice gentle slopping top line into good tail set, moved very well.
3) Bott Bardonhill Words of Love
Post Graduate Bitch 8 (3)
3 lovely bitches headed this class all 3 could change places
1) Waterton Sandstream Summer Breeze One lovely shaped bitch, such a pretty feminine head, with good clean dark eye, Good reach of neck into well placed shoulders, straight front with good angulations nice depth of chest, lovely gentle slopping top line, well turned stifle and moved well.
2) Dow Shenanagin Stolen Kisses Another nice bitch different type to first but everything in position, again lovely pretty head and good angulations, ample reach of neck Loved her shape Moved well
3) Bott Bardonhill Gingerella Very nice feminine bitch loved her head and shape moved well, just a same came up against first 2 today
Limit Bitch 8 (0)
1) Danks-Kemish Rapparty Starlight Over Alolfrana larger bitch to what I normally like though on saying that she is it all together. Nice shape pretty head, good reach of neck with good front, nice depth of chest, good shoulder placement into nice gentle slopping top line, well angulated, full of coat moved very well . Close decision between 1st and 2nd
2) Stevenson Lochlorien True Detective is Andley Another lovely bitch I’ve admired for long time and done her well before, good shape Lovely feminine head. Nice angulations fore and aft. Lovely gentle slopping top line Moved well
3) Partridge Kerrydown Octavia SHCM Different type again but another lovely bitch I’ve done well previous and still not changed my mind about her. Well done
Open Bitch 7 (1)
1) Stevenson Lochlorien Scully Foxes Andley SHCM 2nd in Veteran, lovely bitch with nice shape, lovely feminine head with good clean dark eye, nice reach of neck as first good angulations front and back, gentle sloping top line, into good tail set, moved out well too.
2) Hill-Decoster Vicary’s Pearl’s a Singer Lovely feminine bitch loved her shape and well angulated front and rear, good reach of neck, well placed shoulders, nice gentle slopping top line just preferred overall shape and tail set of first. Moved well
3) Gracie & Rutherford IR CH Clonageera Walk With Me to Summergate JW SHCM CJW15
Brace 5 (2)
1) Danks-Kemish Lovely pair matched so well together can certainly see the likeness. Moved well in unison and young handler got the best out of them both
2) Oyendu Another nice pair, though slightly a bit heavier for me but can see they are brother and sister type and breeding. Moved fairly well together
Judge Colin Wheeldon (Colemist)