The North East of England Irish Setter Club Open Show 23rd October 2021
I would like to thank the Committee for inviting me to judge at their Open Show. Thank you also to Barry Makepiece for singlehandedly keeping everything running smoothly on the day. Some of the hind movement in particular was disappointing and placings were penalised accordingly.
D O G S
1.Sturrock’s Forfarian Dusty Bottoms – He has a long lean head and correct eye shape. Has good front and angulation fore and aft is good. He has a straight front and deep chest. Movement was as expected for a baby, when he settles he moves true. He enjoyed his time in the ring. A real character.
PD ( 4,1abs)
1.Sturrock’s Forfarian Dusty Bottoms – 1st Minor puppy BPD.
2. Corless Swiftlark Invincible – This dog has a correct shape to his head and a defined stop. He is well off for bone and good angulation. Tight feet. Very erratic on the move but just a puppy so hopefully he will settle.
3. Scott’s Sixoaks Rocket Man
1.Richardson’s Gwendariff Tully’s Red Arrows – A very good head with defined stop and correct eye shape. Well proportioned body and good depth to chest. Good overall shape, very balanced outline. Moved well.
2. Jones Gwendariff Its Just A Rumour – another dog with good head and defined stop. Well proportioned body and good depth to chest. He has good muscle tone and tight feet. Moved well. A close decision.
1.Hemmings Orlanset Mandolin – This dog has a beautiful head with that quizzical expression and correct eye shape. His coat was gleaming. He has a good front and depth to chest. Good topline and tail set. Well proportioned body and wide hind quarters.Tight feet. Moved well.
2. McCulloch’s Shenanagin Oh Oh Seven – A rangier dog than the winner. Long lean head with correct planes and defined stop. His neck flows cleanly into a good topline. Balanced outline with good angulation. Well off for bone. Moved well. Just needs time to mature.
1.Corless Swiftlark Invincible – 2nd Puppy
1.McCulloch’s Shenanagin Oh Oh Seven – 2nd Yearling
2. Corless Swiftlark Invincible – 2nd Puppy
1.Gilks Sutteresett Mr Mistoffelees At Gochmawr – A good head with raised brows and correct eye shape. His topline and tailset are correct. Good depth to his chest. Moved a little close behind.
1.Murchison’s Kerryfair Please Please Me Corphin – One I’ve judged previously as a youngster. Full of mischief. He has a beautiful head with correct planes and his eyes are dark and the correct shape. He has a good front and angulation fore and aft are very good. Strong quarters which when he steadies on the move allow him to move with drive.
2. Deighton’s Oakdene Schiehallion (ImpBel) – another with good head and raised brows, correct ear set and clean neck which flows into his correct topline. Good depth to his body and angulation is good. His coat is a beautiful deep colour and plentiful, immaculately presented. Moved well but just tended to raise his tail.
3. Cohen’s Lynwood Merry May King With Shushana
1.Holehan-Green’s Loganrish Lets Go Crazy – Good head shape and well muscled neck flowing into good topline. Good front and depth of chest, enough spring of rib. Moved a little close behind.
2. Hemmings Orlanset A New Flame – Preferred the head on the winner. He has a good topline and correct tailset. Well off for bone. Good rear angulation.
3. Longbottom & Stewart-Ritchie’s Gwendariff Smart Red Jacket JW
LD (6,2 abs)
1.Russell’s Lynwood Hocus Pocus At Settesoli – This dog is very well put together and oozes quality. He has a long lean head with correct eye shape. His well muscled neck flows into his correct topline. Wide quarters which were well muscled. A good front, deep brisket and spring of ribs. Angulation fore and aft were correct and free from exaggeration. Moved with drive. RBD
2. Hart’s Gwendariff In The Limelight With Gilliegrae JW ShCm – a smaller made dog than the winner but nevertheless he possesses a balanced outline with good angulation. His neck flows into his topline and his tailset is correct. He moved well
3. McNeil & Boyd-McNeil’s Gwendariff Gonna Go For Gold At Glennlokhen
1.Lucas ShCh Bardonhill Eternal Flame Among Amberlight JW – Immaculately presented. He has a beautiful head with correct planes and raised brows, his eyes are dark and correct in shape. His neck is well muscled and flows into his correct topline, his tailset is correct. He has the best of fronts and a deep chest. His angulation fore and aft is correct and his outline is balanced. His quarters are well muscled. He drives round the ring and from all angles he is co-ordinated, a pleasure to watch. BD & BIS
2. Russell’s Strathmead Huckleberry Of Settesoli – he has good head shape and correct ear set. Balanced in outline and well off for bone. He has a straight front. In good coat. He needs to settle on the move.
3. Corless Swiftlark First Knight
B I T C H E S
1.Chorley-Newton,Chorley & Flinders Kerryfair Different Wave – she is very balanced and has a good topline and correct tail set. Good angulation. A straight front, deep chest and a good spring of ribs. A pretty baby. Nice tight feet. Moved well.
2. Kassube & French’s Twoacres Chocolate Delight – she is refined in skull and has correct eye shape. Good angulation. Today she was carrying a little too much weight and was not so steady on the move.
1.Corless Swiftlark Illustrious – Her head is long and lean with correct shaped eyes and raised brows. Her topline is correct and her tail is well set on. She has a balanced outline and is well off for bone. She moved well. BPB & BPIS
2.Heather’s Sixoaks My Fair Lady – She has a balanced outline and a good front. She has a lovely expression. The winner moved better on the day.
1.Blackshaw’s Lanstara Spring Star JW – She has a good head with raised brow. Her well arched neck flows into a correct topline. She has a straight front and her angulation is good with no exaggeration. She moved well using her tail throughout. BVB & BVIS
2. Stevenson’s Lochlorien Scully Foxes Andley ShCm – Her head planes are correct and she has a defined stop. A balanced outline with good angulation and deep chest. She moved well.
1.Armitage’s Gwendariff Phantastic Phanny – Pretty girl with lovely expressive eyes. Good rear angulation. Well off for bone and has lovely tight feet. Slightly overweight which may have affected her movement today.
1.Watt’s Shenanagin Half A Sixpence – Her head is long and lean with good stop and quizzical expression. She has a good topline and correct tailset. She has a good front with deep brisket. Her spring of ribs is good. She moved well.
2.Williamson’s Blue Springs A Kind of Magic At Keljaru – Her head shape is correct with raised brows and a gentle expression. She has a balanced outline and a good front, deep chest and good spring of ribs. Moved well.
3. Sturrock’s Forfarian Tickles Yer Fancy
1.Corless Swiftlark Illustrious – 1st Puppy
1.Watt’s Shenanagin Half A Sixpence – 1st Yearling
2.Corless Swiftlark Illustrious – 1st Puppy
3.Heather’s Sixoaks My Fair Lady – 2nd Puppy
1.Watt’s Shenanagin Half A Sixpence – 1st Yearling
1.Blackshaw’s Lanstara Ruby Slippers – Her head is refined. She has good fore chest and deep brisket. Her topline is correct and angulation is good. She moved well.
2.Bridgwater & Green’s Brigella’s Don’t Push It – Pretty girl with raised brows and correct eye shape. Good topline and correct tailset. Good spring of ribs and deep chest. Preferred the front of the winner. Her movement was true behind.
3.Robinson Lanstara Red Dress
1.Kennedy-Sloane’s Twoacres Destiny – Pretty girl with good finish to stop and refined in skull. Good topline which she held on the move. Good muscle tone. She is balanced in outline and has good angulation. Good forechest and deep brisket. A straight front and well sprung ribs. She moved well.
2.Sturrock’s Soo Lush – Her head is refined and she has a quizzical expression. Her well arched neck flows into a good topline and correct tailset. She has tight feet and is well off for bone. She moved well.
3.Richardson’s Brabrook True Violet For Montgreenan JW
1.Bridgwater’s Blazing Bronze Eye Candy (ImpNLD) – Very feminine head with raised brows and dark eyes which are the correct shape. Correct ear set. Well angulated fore and aft without exaggeration. She has a deep chest and good spring of ribs. She moved round the ring with her tail lashing. RBB
2. Stevenson’s Lochlorien True Detective is Andley – Good head planes with raised brows and correct eye shape. Good topline and correct tail set. Well off for bone and nice tight feet. She moved well.
3.Sloane’s Ferasheen Jindea
1.McNeil & Boyd-McNeil’s Glennlokhen Deveron – She has a pretty head with raised brows and good eye shape. Her well arched neck flowed cleanly into a correct topline and good tailset. Good angulation fore and aft. Straight front and good forechest. She has a good spring of ribs . Her tail never stopped when standing and on the move. Moved with reach and drive. BB & RBIS & BOS
Judge Christine Borthwick